10 Things Copywriters Should Be Thankful For
In honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday (and of lots of personal good news and cheer I’ve experienced lately), it’s a good time to think about all the things to be thankful for and why. As copywriters, we are blessed with so much from punctuation to wordplay, but we don’t always realize the importance or take the time to stop and appreciate what we have, so here’s my take on some of the things copywriters should be thankful for:
1. Semicolons: It may seem counterintuitive to be thankful for this oft-misused punctuation, but without them, what would we complain about? Semicolons give us many opportunities to bask in our superior grammatical knowledge.
2. Rhyme: Without getting too cheesy, let’s just say that to rhyme is sublime. Oops, I guess I got a little cheesy there, but that doesn’t change the fact that we use rhyme to make people smile, including ourselves. And isn’t making people smile simply wonderful?
3. Numbers: Digits aren’t just for mathematicians. Having specific stats can make content more memorable. They also stand out in a crowd of letters, making it easier to catch the viewer’s attention.
4. Exclamation Points: Sure, these can be annoying if overused! Case in point! Right now! But exclamation points are also awesome because they are an easy and surefire way to express happiness and excitement.
5. Puns: Where oh where would we be without one-liners and wordplay? Puns are like copywriting drugs. Get your daily dose here.
6. Bulleted Lists: Do I really need to explain this one? Bulleted lists are our saviors when we need to convey a lot of information in a small space. They also make it easier for people to read and comprehend information. Bulleted lists are simply amazing.
7. You: Copywriters should be thankful to our readers. Without you, we wouldn’t get paid, have jobs, or have a professional purpose. So, thanks!
8. “You”: In addition to you, my reader – thanks again, by the way! – the word “you” is also worthy of our gratitude. Being able to talk directly to readers is essential for creating a connection and conveying information.
9. CTAs: Calls to action are what makes copywriting effective, especially in an online environment. More than being thankful, we should almost bow down to these copywriting powerhouses. We’re not worthy! We’re not worthy!
10. Collaborators: From graphic designers to product managers, copywriters couldn’t do what we do without a little help from our friends. Plus, a really good collaborator is worth more than ten mediocre ones, so we should be especially thankful when we’ve snagged a good one. To all the copywriting friends out there, thank you for all your help – yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
What other things should copywriters be thankful for? Let me know in the comments!
If you liked this, you might also enjoy…